Using wood chip mulch is one of the easiest ways to protect and nourish your young tree while saving water.
Benefits of mulch:
- Retains moisture in the soil
- Decomposes and releases nutrients into the soil
- Maintains soil temperature and protects roots from extreme cold and heat
- Discourages grass and weeds from growing near the tree trunk and competing for nutrients
- Reduces soil compaction so roots can breathe
Mulch placed around the tree,
but not over the rootball creates a healthy environment for the tree
How to Mulch your Tree:
- Get free wood chips from SMUD, contact a local tree care company for mulch delivery, or purchase natural, wood chip mulch from your local garden store.
- Remember the 4x4x6 rule: spread mulch in
a 4-foot diameter around your tree, keep it 4 inches
away from the trunk, and layer it 6 inches thick. It will look like a fluffy "mulch doughnut."
- Wood chip mulch will slowly
decompose and should be replenished as
Get others involved
Young and mature trees benefit from mulch. It's an easy, fun way to protect your community's canopy from things like weed-eaters, herbicides, and the California drought. Get others involved and throw a neighborhood mulch party to keep every tree on your street safe and healthy.