Activity 5: Summarize and Reflect
Students will be able to:
- Describe the importance of oak trees, and acorns in particular, in the life and culture of California Indians.
- Name fruits and nuts that grow on trees.
- Discuss the health benefits of eating fruits and nuts.
- Recognize trees as a source of highly nutritious food.
- Describe the importance and use of tree products in their own lives.
- Describe the effect of trees on temperature and exposure to ultraviolet rays.
- Discuss the health benefits of trees related to temperature and ultraviolet exposure.
Time: 45 minutes
Students review and organize the journal materials from this branch. Record any new learning or questions on the class tree chart and address the following questions either in their journals or as a class discussion:
1. List your five favorite fruits and nuts. Put a star next to each one that grows on a tree.
2. Why was acorn a diet staple for many California Indians?
3. List six tree products that are important to you. Put a star next to the product that is most important to you and write a few sentences that explain your choice.
4. Describe several ways that trees improve your life.
5. How do trees impact the air conditioning needs of a home?