Students will be able to:
- Design and present a project that demonstrates their knowledge about the value and importance of trees.
Time: Homework assignment
- Several days to consult and plan with family
- One additional week to complete the project
Students will work on their final projects at home. A sample project planning sheet is included. Discuss the project possibilities and create an evaluation rubric with students.
Here are a few ideas:
- Paint an informational poster about trees, tree stewardship, urban forests, etc.
- Design and make an educational brochure or pamphlet.
- Write and illustrate a book detailing the life cycle of a tree.
- Construct a diorama of a tree habitat.
- Write a newspaper article about the importance of trees.
- Script a play or puppet show about a “heritage” tree and its history.
- Compose a poem, song or rap about trees.
- Conduct an inventory of the trees in your neighborhood.
- Create a game about trees.
- Draw a tree map of your neighborhood.
- Locate a heritage tree. Research and write a report about its importance to the community.
- Prepare a recipe that incorporates tree products, write it up and bring in samples to share.