Community Planting Leader
The Community Planting Leader (CPL) organizes and manages volunteers to safely and correctly plant trees at schools, parks, and other public locations. The CPL is responsible for making sure that each volunteer planter is warmly received and engaged through the entire course of the planting. The CPL must be aware that the objective of every planting is not to get trees in the ground, but to educate community volunteers and build awareness about the importance of our urban forest.
*Must be 18 years of age or older to apply
October through April. (Attendance of at least one event per month required
- Represent the Sacramento Tree Foundation at volunteer tree planting events.
- Professionally and responsibly manage volunteers at plantings, including warmly receiving volunteers at the outset and seeing that they are having a positive and productive experience throughout the day.
- Educate volunteers as to the importance of the urban forest and its benefits.
- Demonstrate to volunteers the proper techniques and methodology for planting trees, both #5 and # 15 in size. Use the planting demonstration as an opportunity to educate volunteers about the importance of properly planting and maintaining trees.
- Ensure that the proper tree is being planted in the proper location, in accordance with both the site planting plan and the Sacramento Tree Foundation tree siting guidelines.
- Review the planting site at the end of the planting to verify that the facility and grounds look at least as good as when the planting started, and that we are not leaving a mess for maintenance staff.
- Calmly, safely, and professionally manage any unexpected occurrences during the planting, such as injuries, broken infrastructure, or other event.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Ability to lead groups of volunteers and community members.
- Organized and enthusiastic about working with others.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Communicate successes and challenges with manager.
- Demonstrate professionalism and a high standard of work ethic.
- Maintain compliance with all safety guidelines and procedures.
- Present self, position, and the Sacramento Tree Foundation positively in all activities and settings.
Attitude, Abilities, and Skills
- Understanding of nonprofit, mission-based organizations.
- Interest in building a better community.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently or as a team member.
- Willingness to honor all policies and procedures.
- Sound reasoning and decision making skills.
- Attention to safety and proper equipment use.
- Ability to lift at least 30 pounds.
- Ability to perform extremely physically demanding work, including digging and lifting and carrying heavy loads
Please contact our Volunteer Coordinator for additional information or questions: email@example.com or 916-924-8733 x122.
Ready to apply? Complete and submit this form.