Tree Care Steward
The Tree Care Steward ensures quality care and maintenance for trees planted by the Sacramento Tree Foundation. The Tree Care Steward works to educate community members on proper tree care and provide basic maintenance to trees planted within the last 3 years. The Tree Care Steward may work individually, or recruit volunteers to work as a team.
*Must be 18 years of age or older to apply
- Represent the Sacramento Tree Foundation while working at planting sites.
- Work with Tree Foundation staff to identify locations in need of care.
- Professionally and responsibly manage basic tree care such as staking, un-staking, mulching and basic pruning.
- Educate property owners and land managers as to the importance of the urban forest and its benefits. Provide them with education materials.
- Collect data from each planting site. This may include: planted/dead/missing, over all health and vigor, GPS location, maintenance provided, etc.
- Ensure that the proper tree was planted in the proper location, in accordance with both the site planting plan and the Sacramento Tree Foundation tree siting guidelines.
- Review the planting site and verify that the facility and grounds look at least as good as when maintenance started, and that we are not leaving a mess
- Calmly, safely, and professionally manage any unexpected occurrences during the maintenance, such as injuries, broken infrastructure, or other event.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Ability to use personal car.
- Ability to lead groups of volunteers and community members.
- Organized and enthusiastic about working with others.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Communicate successes and challenges with manager.
- Demonstrate professionalism and a high standard of work ethic.
- Maintain compliance with all safety guidelines and procedures.
- Present self, position, and the Sacramento Tree Foundation positively in all activities and settings.
Attitude, Abilities, and Skills
- Understanding of nonprofit, mission-based organizations.
- Interest in building a better community.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently or as a team member.
- Willingness to honor all policies and procedures.
- Sound reasoning and decision making skills.
- Attention to safety and proper equipment use.
- Ability to lift at least 30 pounds.
- Ability to perform extremely physically demanding work, including digging and lifting and carrying heavy loads.
Please contact our Volunteer Coordinator for additional information or questions: email@example.com or 916-924-8733 x122.
Ready to apply? Complete and submit this form