As core members of the SacTree planting team,
Planting Leaders join staff to guide and engage volunteers at tree plantings in community spaces or reforestation sites. As a Planting Leader, you will be an integral part of the success of our events and serve as an ambassador for SacTree in your own neighborhood.
Use your skills and passion for stewarding our urban forest to help ensure that volunteers are supported, safe, and use proper planting techniques. This in turn guarantees that the saplings successfully grow into mature trees which will provide the maximum amount of benefits to the community, and that volunteers will have the most meaningful, educational, and fun experience possible.
You do not have to be an expert in planting trees or teaching others! We will provide training and support to make you feel comfortable in this role. The most important assets for potential Planting Leaders are dedication and a real desire to improve their community through making connections.
No prior expertise is necessary, but the ideal Planting Leader will…
Like meeting new people of different backgrounds and ages
- Be comfortable speaking to groups of 10
- Provide tactful, constructive feedback
- Have fun planting and caring for trees
- Have attended at least two previous SacTree planting events
Attend at least six planting events from late September through May
It’s easy to get started!
Participate in 2 Tree Foundation plantings
- Attend a classroom orientation
Learn about SacTree's mission and programs, the role of a Planting Leader, and how to lead volunteers
- Attend a field training at a planting event
Learn the technical aspects of planting trees and become comfortable guiding others through this process
- Shadow a staff member at a second planting event
to hone your skills
- Continue shadowing at plantings until you are ready to lead a group of volunteers and perform a demonstration on your own
Planting Leaders will receive…
- A Certificate of Completion
- Continued training in tree planting and care
- Invitations to special events with SacTree staff
Questions? Call (916) 974-4310 or email our Volunteer Engagement Coordinator.