As core members of the SacTree planting team,
Planting Leaders guide and engage volunteers at tree plantings in community spaces or reforestation sites. They are an integral part of the overall success of our events and serve as ambassadors for SacTree.
The way a tree is planted determines whether it will thrive. By using proper planting techniques, we set the tree up for a long life and maximize the benefits it will provide for the community.
Planting Leaders ensure that volunteers are supported and safe in using proper techniques. More impactfully, Planting Leaders help guarantee that the saplings we plant will grow into mature trees and the volunteers at our events will become invested in our urban forest.
No prior expertise is necessary, but the ideal Planting Leader will…
Like meeting new people of different backgrounds and ages
- Be comfortable speaking to groups of 10
- Provide tactful, constructive feedback
- Have fun planting and caring for trees
Attend at least six planting events from late September through May
It’s easy to get started!
Participate in 2 Tree Foundation plantings
- Attend a classroom orientation
Learn about SacTree's mission and programs, the role of a Planting Leader, and how to lead volunteers
- Attend a field training at a planting event
Learn the technical aspects of planting trees and become comfortable guiding others through this process
- Shadow a staff member at a second planting event
to hone your skills
- Continue shadowing at plantings until you are ready to lead a group of volunteers and perform a demonstration on your own
Planting Leaders will receive…
- A Certificate of Completion
- Continued training in tree planting and care
- Invitations to special events with SacTree staff
Questions? Call (916) 974-4310 or email our Volunteer Engagement Coordinator.