Students will be able to:
- Recognize that there are many different types of oak trees.
- Identify an oak tree by its leaves and acorns.
- Recognize the acorn as the seed of an oak.
Time: 30 minutes
Distribute, read and discuss California Oaks.
Ask students to identify the oak trees in their tree decks. What do the oaks have in common? (Acorns!) How are they the same as or different from the other trees in the deck and each other? (All have leaves and seeds, but there is a great deal of variation in shape and size amongst different trees).
Explore one or more of the books listed below to learn more about oaks.
- The Oak Tree by Laura Jane Coats
- The Oak Tree by Gordon Morrison
- Grandmother Oak by Rosi Dagit